Spitfire clutch master cyl failure-

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire clutch master cyl failure-
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 06:31:18 -0800
Thanks to all, looks like the cap is still available, and thanks to Peter
Z. who reminded me that Pegasus racing supplies handles Girling (as well as
others, got out my old catalogue) and has the cap plus the rebuild kits for
these.  Seem's my memory is going faster than my sight :-)
The failure, (and the reason for replacement) as it turns out was not a
leaking seal but the (in)famous return spring.  It broke, thereby not
pushing the piston to where it should be for full use of the pedal!!
Anyone else have this happen??  Had to practice shifting without the clutch
half way to work.  What fun!! and of course I hit every fricken RED LIGHT!!!)
Apparently this spring is not available that I can find (but I have some
old ones laying about)  The master cylinder is still in great shape, not a
single pit or scratch and the bore is perfectly straight.  Had I known
this, I would have just rebuilt it.  One interesting side note.  This
particular master cylinder, while genuine Girling, is made in Australia.
Cast right on the side of the body.  I pulled this off a car I saw in a
Junk yard here in San Diego years ago and rebuilt it then, so I naturally
assumed it was just worn out.  There appears to be a difference in the
material and the casting is also slightly different. The aluminum seems to
be of a harder (possibly different) alloy and the body is about a 1/4 inch
(6.35 mm) larger in diameter than the new replacement, and the other clutch
masters that I have (all Girling).  The bore is the same, and has not been
sleeved  This cylinder (except for the crappy spring) has outlasted all the
other ones I have had, and it is the correct, angled reservoir type for
Spitfires.  Are these still available anywhere??  They seem to be much of
much better quality than the 'typical' Girling replacements.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)