Re: TR Mechanic

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: TR Mechanic
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:45:29 +0000
Cc: william smith <wlsmith@idt.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Are you sure Excel is the correct program to use, if your writing a
database then you would be better with Access, dBase IV, or Oracle.  I
personally would be wary of sending Excel files out, they are big
compared to a text report, and take up allot of space.

Which ever database you use on your computer, you should really send it
out in a text format, thus it can be read with any good database.  Make
sure the report is in a form like the spitfire database.
i.e.

"NAME"<TAB>"TELEPHONE"<TAB>"ADDRESS"<TAB>"NOTES"<Return>

The "'s and the <TAB>'s are important, they will enable people to import
it into there chosen database with ease.  It's so you can pick out all
the fields.   Also the fact that you save the Return to the end of the
line, so that you can pick out the different entrees in the database.

P.S.
At the moment I can't easily get out the attachments, because of VAX
mucking about with the e-mails.

If you want I could write you a simple database program which would
allow you to edit, search etc. a data base file.  For this one thing.
Oh and it'll be royalty free.  The same goes for the GT-6 and Spitfire
databases.  Might have to be dos based tough, or if you want Xwindows.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot