Re: Triumphs as your only car

To: IanSouthwell@apexsystems.com
Subject: Re: Triumphs as your only car
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:31:18 +0000
First off I think old cars should be driven, even if that's just the odd
weakened
for an hour, otherwise you might as well have a cardboard cut out.
My Spitfire is my only car, I don't think is is any more risky to rely
on an
16 year old car than a 8 year old.  My first car was a lot more
unreliable
than the Spitfire, more expensive, and more rust. I currently have it
off
the road to make it reliable, because I can use my parents, but when I
am
back at unit, I will just have the Spitfire.

There is a way you can work out how reliable your car is, competence of
the maintainer and competence of the designer.
If you are good at looking after your car, and you put right the
problems
which arise through the old banger stage, the car will be no less
reliable
than when it was new.  Once it is in this state, normal maintenance will
suffice.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot