Correct TR6 Ammeter Operation?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Correct TR6 Ammeter Operation?
From: Steve Myers <smyers@stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 15:26:03 -0800
Warm beer lovers,

I have a question regarding correct operation of the ammeter in my '71
TR6.

My ammeter needle bounces around erratically under most circumstances.

IE, I can hear a "tink tink tink..." as the needle rapidly hits the peg
on either side of the meter while driving the car. I checked to make
sure the noise was not emanating from a mechanic being held captive
under the hood. (hmmm. I guess that would be me.) Exceptions to this are
under heavy acceleration, when the needle mostly resides on the Charge
side of the scale, and at smooth idle when the needle remains centered
by British standards. The guage seems to work, but simply bounces around
erratically. Should movement of the needle be generally smooth? If so,
any suggestions on what might be the problem?

Thanks,
Steve Myers
'71 TR6
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~smyers