RE: Pertronix Ignition & TR6 Distributor Removal (Peter Zaborski's 3/1

To: "'William Smith'" <wlsmith@idt.net>
Subject: RE: Pertronix Ignition & TR6 Distributor Removal (Peter Zaborski's 3/1 Submission)
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 17:47:33 -0700
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

I suspect we are talking about the same thing here. I did not have to
enlarge the hole in the Ignitor's plate (although that is what ended up
happening). The hole was allured large enough for the small screw which
formerly held the capacitor to fit through. However, that hole did not
properly line up with the hole in the distributor plate when the contact
peg was in the other hole on the Ignitor's plate. So although the fit
could be achieved by making the hole big enough to make up the
discrepancy, the actual problem was the location of the original Ignitor
hole, not its size.

> 2. I had the opposite experience from Peter's with regard to the idle
> speed.  While Peter said his idle speed "increased" significantly,
> mine
> "decreased" significantly.  I found that the reason was that the
> timing
> was retarded after the installation of the module.  I corrected that
> by
> adjusting the timing.  Since the Pertronix module placement is not
> adjustable, I cannot understand why Peter and I would have such
> differing experiences.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very
> interested
> in hearing them.

Even after Shane Ingate's comment that his idle increased like mine
after installation of the Ignitor, I would consider the possibility that
the timing between your car and mine is different thus the difference in
our observations after the install. As my timing gun was inoperable when
I tried to check my timing, I am unable to verify what it was prior to
the install. I did set it last summer to the Bentley spec (I think 4
ATDC for a 76). I don't know what it is now. Hopefully will have an idea
next weekend once the light gets fixed.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada