Re: Triumph Sport 6

To: "Forrest W. Bridges" <fbridges@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph Sport 6
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:16:33 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Forrest W. Bridges wrote:

>  Everyone,
>
> My wife and friends are trying to convience me to take on a ground up on a
> 63' Sport 6 (her car).  I am not planning to begin this project until I
> finish my Spitfire.  The car was given to me but that is not to impressive.
> The bonnet and chassis look good but I can say that for the rest of the car.
> I am the second owner of the automobile and I would hate to see another
> Triumph die.  My records indicate that only 679 Sport 6 were ever made.  Is
> anyone on this list own one?  Should I try to attemp to restore or strip?
> If I restore I will need new doors, back half of a tub and trunk lid (plus
> all new interior, top and plenty of outher stuff).

Forrest, by all means, RESTORE THE CAR! Note: this is easy for me to say,
as it is YOUR money I propose you spend, and it is likely -- given the
description of the car -- that total costs will exceed the value of the
car when completed. However, these cars do seem to be appreciating in
value, so over the years you might not make out too badly in the money
dept.

A great majority of what you're likely to need is still available, from
vendors such as John Kipping Triumph Spares and Rimmer Bros. If the rear
tub really is too far gone to save, but the chassis really is good (lucky
devil!), a Herald convertible rear tub and/or trunk lid could certainly be
used. Most interior, etc., trim is fairly easy to obtain, and even the
"Sports" badge is available again.

Some 1600 engine parts are now difficult to obtain, but the option of
updating the running gear to 2 liter spec. (i.e., GT6) involves little
more than obtaining the GT6 bits and bolting them in.  (Save the old stuff
in case some "purist" down the road wants it should you decide to sell the
car.)

There are more than a few Sports 6 out there (along with a few Vitesses --
same car pretty much), and more seem to surface all the time. And there
are several owners on this list or otherwise available via e-mail.

Just do it! :-)

--Andy