Re: Thanks All For Oil Help!

To: Hayes <htjhayes@mysurf.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks All For Oil Help!
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 21:13:26 -0800
Cc: Triumph Digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hayes wrote:

>         I gave in the other morning and bought a new pump. $102.36 and I only
> drove 3 miles to get it. I get @45 PSI at warm idle now, which I am quite
> pleased with. However, The oil pressure still drops to @10-15 when I brake
> hard enough. Anyone ever put baffles in an oil pan? I read a good book on
> the subject, but am reluctant to do it myself. The kind I like best was a
> stainless-steel mesh that angled down toward the bottom of the sump that
> somehow bolted on. Yes, bolted.
>         I took off the front plate and bracket which helps my cooling quite a
> bit. Also bought a cooling fan from the local auto parts store (Kragen) It
> is the same one Vicki Brit is selling but 25 bucks cheaper.
>         Any info on putting baffles in a Spit or related 1500 motor would be
> great!
>

> Josh Hayes
> 1978 Spit (Nice Doors)
> 1960 TR3-A (Doors? Are those related to windows?)

Josh,
That brings to mind a '67 Camaro I used to autocross back when it was
new.  It had a 230ci 6 cyl. with 3-speed and those pesky hydraulic
lifters.

Whenever I threw that car into several hard turns in rapid succession,
the upper engine would starve for oil and the lifters would start
chattering so loudly that everybody would "duck and cover".  However,
there was no perminant damage done, as I put 128,000 miles on the engine
before dropping a 375 HP Vette engine in it.  It sure had a lot of get
up and go, but it wouldn't autocross worth a flip after that.

Just a memory from the distant past

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (won't autocross either without doors)