Re: SU Dashpot oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SU Dashpot oil
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:29:57 -0600
>>>>> "DANMAS" == DANMAS  <DANMAS@aol.com> writes:

    DANMAS> In a message dated 97-10-27 19:53:11 EST,
    DANMAS> curry@wolfenet.com writes:

    curry>> Without oil the pistons move up (and down) more rapidly
    curry>> and for racing this quicker response is desirable.

    DANMAS> The oil only dampens in the upward
    DANMAS> direction. There is no dampening in the downward
    DANMAS> direction.

In the interest of maintaining the physical structure of the
universe <ahem> I think it's more accurate to say that the
damping on the down-stroke has less of an effect on the
overall piston travel than on the up stroke.  It's for sure
that the oil causes at the very least some drag on the piston
proportional to its viscosity in some way, even if you assume
that the effect of dropping down against the restriction and
the vacuum are negligible, which I'm not convinced of, at
least if I understand how these Constantly Depressing carbs
work....
                                                        -MM