RE: Adding leg room to a TR6

To: rshaffer@gmu.edu
Subject: RE: Adding leg room to a TR6
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:05:39 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I don't own a car, but I've been looking at the TR6 for awhile and
I'm about 90% sure this is the car I want.  I'm basically aware of all
the things that go along with owning a British car.  One major problem
is that I'm a little taller than average (6' 7").  Ok. Maybe I'm
reaching the outer boundary of ogre-ness, but I'm not going to let that
stand in the way of what I want.  Is it possible to get more leg room
out a TR6?  I've driven my friends MG. Yes, it is POSSIBLE to drive but
very uncomfortable and it makes driving "spirited" a bit difficult.
Maybe I could move the drivers seat's track back farther?  Maybe a
smaller steering wheel?  Also, is it possible to move the seat lower?
Sitting upright, I can peer over the windshield with ease.  It would be
nice to find a way to fit into one of these.  Thanks in advance!
                        -Robert Shaffer

Robert,

Other listers may correct me, but I believe the TR3 has more leg room than
the TR6.  I'm not nearly as tall as you.  I'm just under 6 feet tall,
HOWEVER, I have a 35 inch inseam, which is probably only an inch or so less
than yours. I don't usually keep my TR3A seat all the way back, especially
for spirited driving.

My wife and I looked at an A-H Sprite many years ago.  She test drove it and
loved it.  I got in the drivers seat, tucked my knees behind my ears to
drive and was miserable.  Be sure you'll be comfortable enough to enjoy your
new toy.

Unless you are hung up on those new fangled roll up windows, (a feature many
of us on the list think is just a passing fad) check out a TR3.

Jack (I don't need no stinkin' windows) Brooks
TS69032L 1960 TR3A