[no subject]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 18:58:09 -0800
Mike wrote:

>>Naturally, Chauncey,
>>(our TR6) saw that I was too happy and immediately started acting the
>>same way,
>>although without the black smoke (too lean?) at least on one carb.  Can't
>>seem
>>to find the really good information about how to adjust the idle mixture.
>>VB
>>shows a tool for adjustment which looks very different that the tool
>>shown in
>>Bentley or the Kenneth Ball/Autopress book.
>>
>>Further, the articles available on team.net say that not all Strombergs
>>had a
>>mixture adjustment.   This is a 70.  Can anyone point me in the right
>>direction?
>> The six seems to drop out one or two of the cylinders at idle.  Don't
>>think I
>>got a leak in the manifold, as it was just replace a couple of years ago,
>>and
>>the car ran fine.  I know that I will need to change the plugs and points

Mike:

To my knowledge, all TR6s fitted with ZS carbs had a mixture adjustment.
The adjustment is made by inserting a tool into the dashpot bore and
turning either clockwise or "anti"clockwise.  If my memory is correct,
turning the screw clockwise richens the mixture and the reverse leans it
out.  (What's happening here is that the needle is being either raised or
lowered in the jet, creating either more room around the needle through
which fuel can flow, or less...)  You need the special tool to do this... I
have seen two different tools, but they both do the same thing... provide a
means to hold the piston in place (keep it from rotating when you turn the
tool) while allowing the adjuster inside to be turned.

On my TR6, I cannot get a rich enough mixture.  As I understand it, this is
most likely the result of worn throttle shaft bushings, which are admitting
air into the intake downstream of the venturi, resulting in a lean air/fuel
ratio.  You may encounter the same difficulty.  It is repairable, however,
by removing the carbs and having them rebushed.

Good luck!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6 CF10732