Pertronix Redux & Bosch Alternator

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pertronix Redux & Bosch Alternator
From: Dean Paige <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:49:02 -0800
Well, the Pertronix Electronic Ignition I purchased in (June? July?) for
the TR-6 has apparently failed again. You will remember that the collar
holding the magnets fell apart first. Last Wednesday driving home from
work I noticed a miss at moderate acceleration $ 3000 rpm. By the time I
got home (20 miles) things were getting worse... constant missing on all
cylinders, just barely made it into the driveway. Went to work
immediately. Checked all connections primary and secondary. Checked the
cap and rotor, then fuel system. All AOK. Started the car and miss still
there. Put the points back in, fired it up and its now running fine. I
suspect the solid state electronics in the module have failed somehow
this time. I guess it will be shipped back to Pertronix this week.

On a brighter note, I was experiencing  Lucas alternator (the original-
rebuilt a number of times in 300,000 miles) problems early last week. All
the symptoms of a diode going bad so I decided to go Bosch. Got a rebuilt
for a 1980 Fiesta ($106.00 US w/tax)and it does indeed bolt right in. It
did not come with cooling fan or pulley though so I bopped on down to the
local auto electric and had them install the fan and pulley ($16.00 US).
THe original plug would'nt work either but the a-e shop had an old Bosch
style plug laying around that they gave me and I just spliced that in in
place of the original. Works just fine! Just thought you all would like
to know.

Deano