bumpstick timing (sorta long)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: bumpstick timing (sorta long)
From: "Craig Bentley" <MMBENT@classic.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 97 00:47:34 UT
Thanks to all who responded about my question regarding oil drain plug thread
size. It seems however that 3/8 pipe taps are hard to come by here. The four
hardware stores I went to today didn't carry that size. Oh well I guess it'll
give me an excuse to board the Snap On truck . Anyway progress on the engine
is coming along and I have yet another question for the collective wisdom. I'm
going to be installing and degreeing (sp?) my cam soon and was wondering if
I'm translating the degreeing info. that came with the cam correctly. It says
"the information below is for degreeing cam only. Correct only at .050" tappet
lift.           INTAKE   opens: -2 BTDC

                                                           closes 30 ABDC

EXHAUST  opens  38  BBDC
                                           closes -10  ATDC
                                DURATION @
.050"   INTAKE  208
EXHAUST  208                                    lobe separation  110

        Intake lobe lift  .268"
Exhaust lobe lift  .268"                                             If using
"lobe center" method of degreeing cam should be installed on an intake
centerline of 106 ATDC" (huh???)  I'm not to sure what the last instruction
means but here is what I figured I have to do.                          1.)
Obtain true TDC for cyl
 # 1  and zero the crankshaft degree wheel      2.) Turn cam to .050 lift (cyl
#1 intake lobe)                         3.) Turn crank to -2 BTDC
                                4.) Install gears and chain
                                I assume that the rest of the numbers are for
checking as there will be no
way for me to change any of them. I have no idea what "lobe center" method of
degreeing means. I can only assume. Am I doing this right? Any suggestions,
comments, etc. One final and perhaps stupid question. If I'm standing in front
of the engine looking at the nose of the crank the engine turns clockwise
right? Thanks to anyone who's been patient enough to read all this and would
care to respond
Craig Bentley