Re: Monzas?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Monzas?
From: "Jim Gambony" <gambony@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 12:06:00 PDT
Well, it's not really an answer to the question, but I thought that some
listers might find a bit of humor in my experience with a Monza on my
'73 Spit 1500.

Back in 1989 I needed a new exhaust on the Spitfire, and JC Whitless had
the Monza complete for about $60 (as compared to $75 for just a muffler
from Roadster!).  Figured 'what the heck', ordered it and put it on.  PO
had already installed a tubular header, so it was easy to slip the head
pipe off the collector and cut to fit.  The system was solid from head
to exhaust tip.  Important point.

This was while I was living and working in Northern VA and my tools and
expertise were in central NJ.  Well, on a trip back to NJ to diagagnose
why my o/d stopped working, the rings let go and I started burning a
great deal of oil EXTERNALLY.  Yes, the oil was being blown out the
dipstick hole, ran along the block and burned off on the header.  This
was in central Maryland.

While nursing the car into NJ, one of the state's finest noticed the
smoke trail I was leaving and decided to investigate.  I was able to get
off with only a written warning, for excessive smoke and a "worn"
exhaust.  Didn't have the nerve to correct the officer that it was solid
steel all the way back!

Yes it was loud.  No, it's not fun on long highway trips.  But for a
short hop around on a nice day.....  sounds great!

To each their own.