Re: engine swap

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: engine swap
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:43:37 -0700
fred thomas wrote:

> Listers I would like to say I need a little but I thinkl I need a lot.I'm
> starting to help a neighbor with a l980 spit 1500, with a blown engine,
> he has a MG "1486" engine that was given to him, my questions before I go
> to far
>   # 1-are they interchangeable
>   # 2 are exhaust & intake interchangeable
>   # 3 motor mounts
>   # 4 transmission & bellhousing
>   # 5 clutch
> am I looking at a easy job or a whole bunch of trouble, this is just
> going to be a driver, TIA for any and all help

Fred,
  It CAN be done, but it's not a weekend job.  A friend of mine locally
races a '63 Spit with an MGB motor in it.  The motor is moved back 4 or
5 inches (weight & space), he's running a tranny out of a Datsun, I
believe, with a Toyota rear-end.  It took him about 6 months to get all
of the details sorted out.  If I were you, I'd certainly look around for
another 1500 that runs, and then rebuild the one he's got in the spare
time.

Best of luck...
Peter Ficklin
'63 & '68 Spits