TR7 Chassis Flex

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR7 Chassis Flex
From: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:40:16 -0700
From: bugeye59@kingsnet.com
Subject: Re: 302ci TR8

The inherent chassis flex that the TR7 suffers would most likely make
this an impossible swap.  Heck, even stock TR7s had their doors fly open
under hard cornering!  Call John's Cars in Dallas, TX and inquire about
a 3.8 Buick V6 conversion.  That engine did wonders for my Bugeye
Sprite, and I'd gladly put it up against any 5.0 Mustang!
- --
Harris
'59 Bugeye Sprite -- Buick V6 powered!
'60 TR3A -- TS67621 L

I have seen this comment about TR7/8 chassis flex twice on this list.
While I am certainly no expert, I do know that Wedges had the most
torsional stiffness of any Triumph mass manufactured.  The unibody is
quite stiff, even in convertible guise.  I have _NEVER_ heard any Wedge
owner complain of this problem and I have _NEVER_NEVER_ seen a Wedge car
doors fly open, ever.

I am cross posting this to the TR7/8 list to solicit their comments on
this matter.  Maybe I'll learn something.  I know Woody Cooper has built
some monster motors and has never mentioned this and Ted Schumacher did
and does race these cars and I would love to hear his comments.

Bill Wood
TR7/8 Vehicle Consultant
1973 TR6
1979 TR8 Coupe