Messerschmit Bf109 etc

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Subject: Messerschmit Bf109 etc
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:28:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
wrote: Subject: Re: Charlie Brown:   Bf 109 (No LBC Content)
>David Lee wrote:

>> It may be a while before you have the chance to read this.
>> Commiserations
>> Charlie, that was a beautiful and historic plane. She will be missed
>> by enthusiasts everywhere.

>> Drop me a line when you get the chance.
>>
>> Dave Lee
>> Kinloss
>> Scotland
>> 1955 TR2
>Ditto, Charlie
>Larry Zink
>1964 Spitfire4
>Houston

I saw a piccy of it in a paper yesterday sitting upside down in a field,
didn't
look beyond a resto so hopefully they'll put it back together, probably won't
be airworthy, but it was it's last flight anyway wasn't it.

And on a lighter note, Thrust SSC broke the sound barrier
yesterday(officially),
unfortunately it didn't do the 2 runs within the hour so it isn't officially
world land speed record yet!!!
Cheerio
Rich
********************
Richard,yes it was the same RR engined Messerschmit Bf109 that was we enjoyed
watching at the TSSC Duxford show last Sunday,5th October 1997.
True,its' back was broken but apparently not the main wing spar,and as I'm
sure you saw when you looked around the superb restoration hangars at
Duxford,you'll realise that it is well within the abilities of the talented
aircraft mechanics there to restore the Bf109 to airworthy condition,indeed
if you've ever been unfortunate to have an accident with a Triumph,that is
often just the reason/excuse you were looking for to become involved in a
proper restoration.(shipwrights disease)
Fortunately,the pilot escaped virtually unscathed,as people are a little more
difficult to restore than machines.
Remember too,that fighter aircraft on both sides of the English Channel were
never designed to last 50 years,indeed,not even 50 weeks!

nb.FWIW I find it rather a shame that there should be any ingratitude
whatsover regarding the good American,Canadian,Australian
etc,soldiers,sailors and airmen who gave their lives in WWII in any field of
combat.
I should have thought that the glass display panels lining the path up to the
new museum of american forces aircraft at Duxford would have perhaps served
to remind those of us that took the time to look at them,just how many
aircraft did get shot down in the European theatre of operations,and just how
many american etc mothers and fathers lost their sons in the conflict.

Some of us ARE grateful,but perhaps we should also remember that some listers
are of German,Dutch,French etc origin,and whatever 'side' those countries
were on over 50 years ago,the ordinary men & women of those countries also
died and also had mothers & fathers,sons,brothers & sisters etc.

In short,all wars are terrible human tragedies,from which we still,sadly,have
much to learn.

Oh yes,and on a lighter note!

Thrust SSC was NOT trying for the World Land Speed Record,it already has that
at 714 mph,it was trying to become the first wheeled vehicle to exceed the
Speed of Sound on land,(variable with air pressure etc),and,but for one
minute,it would have done it!
They are,apparently not giving up yet!
Good Luck chaps,and have faith in those Rolls Royce Spey Jet Engines as used
in the magnificent Phantom Jet Fighter/Bomber.
(I can't wait to see the video of this whole endeavour)
All the Best
Leon F Guyot
67 Herald 1200 Convertible (218,000 miles+)
63 Vitesse 2L Mk.2 Convertible (2700 miles)