Sheared bolts and a warning

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sheared bolts and a warning
From: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:09:41 -0400
Listers,

I came up with a good one yesterday. On my last run, of the last
autocross of my season, my Spit started making a God awful banging
sound. About that time the clutch stopped working. At first I thought
the friction disk had gone away--again!

Upon tear down I found three of the four bolts holding the flywheel to
the crank had sheared cleeeean off. The alignment pin got
cut off also. Fortunately, there was no damage to either the flywheel or
the clutch components.

What I'd like to do is E-Z out the threaded residue that's left in the
crank. I see no marking on the OEM bolts that indicate any grading; 5, 8
or otherwise. The only marking are "GSF" (which I'm assuming is the
manufacturer's ID) and the UKC part number.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Does anyone know what the grade of
these bolts is? The last thing I want to do is try to drill into a
graded bolt, working under the dash. Then again, I really don't want to
have to drop the pan and take the crank to a machine shop.

Anyway, to all you Spitfire drivers who've added, and who are adding,
more horsepower the stock block, you may want to think about replacing
these four bolts with a Grade 8. If I ever get these stumps out, that's
what I'm goin to do.

Anyone?

Charlie B.