Re: [Fwd: Neverending saga of the gas-tank leak]

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Neverending saga of the gas-tank leak]
From: "John Herlig, GARGOYLES coffee bar" <gargoyle@staffnet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 15:22:44 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe:

I will stay uninvolved, but I was impressed with the system that Fred
Thomas mentioned to me down here.  His 59 is beautiful, and performs
well on the road and in shows.  He speaks very highly of this liquid
system for gas tank repair; I know this because I have mentioned my slow
seeping leak to him.  If you *wish*, I will ask him to mention the
specifics of this system to you and/or to the list in general.

~John

Joe Curry wrote:

> Hey!
>
> I never meant to start any dissertations on the do's and don'ts of
> repairing fuel tanks, I only wanted to relate my experience.
>
> However, I only thought I had the leak fixed.  After the car had an
> opportunity to sit a couple of days, the mysterious smell of gasoline
> again reared its ugly head.  And again, its in the same place as before.
>
> So, what to do????  I may go ahead and try again (apprehensively after
> all the negative feedback), try to replace it with the tanl I have from
> a 75 Spit.  (see below) or try to find another tank from an early Spit.
>
> The tank from the 75 Spit has a tube running down from the top into the
> tank to suck the fuel out.  The older Spitfires have a hole in the
> bottom of the tank and use the old gravity method.  If I can figure out
> how to marry the two technologies, I'll use the newer tank, otherwise I
> will look for another solution.
>
> It's always something....
> Joe Curry  '63 Spit

John T. Herlig