RE: Dash Lights

To: "'Robert J Carley'" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Subject: RE: Dash Lights
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 12:52:54 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Robert,

I am a few steps ahead of you in resolving the same problem on my TR6.
It sounds like your rheostat is toast. One way to check if the rest of
the circuit is fine is to "by-pass" the rheostat and apply the "full"
voltage to the dash lights.

The only way I know of doing this is to reach under the dash and pull
off the three connectors from the rheostat (one for power and two for
the two dash light circuits) and connect them together. Then turn on
your lights and see if the brightness is satisfactory (it was in my case
when I did this). I believe that a rheostat is supposed to provide
variable resistance ranging from a min value of 0 (ie. full voltage) to
some max value >0 chosen by the designer as the one at which the lights
appear least dim yet still lit.

I am looking at fitting a more modern (and cheaper) rheostat into my car
but have been delayed for the time being with other stuff. I intend to
post to the list when I do resolve my problem so if you wanna wait 'til
then I may save you some time and effort.

One word of caution, reaching the rheostat is easier said than done.
Mine was reasonably easy but then I have my dash support and switch
plinth out of the car right now. With these pieces in, it would have
been a much harder reach.

Hope this helps,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)