Re: Audible buzzer

To: trevor.jordan@rmit.edu.au, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Audible buzzer
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 20:53:22 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-06 20:23:24 EDT, trevor.jordan@rmit.edu.au writes:

> At 11:22 +1000 4/10/97, Bollen wrote:
>  >Found the article in Moss Newsletter.Sent in by a Frank Lindauer.He
>  >purchased a Radio Shack 12 volt mini buzzer for $3.00 #273-055. Mounted
>  >under dash with double side tape,ground red wire, connect black wire to
>  >center flasher terminal. Put one turn of electrical tape over buzzer to
>  >mute the buzz. Worked for me on my Tr3.  Stu-
>
>  Great idea, but the buzzer is polarity dependent and owners of later
>  NEGATIVE earth vehicles should ground the BLACK wire, etc.

Trevor is right, but, as a matter of fact, this method won't work at all on a
TR6. The TR2 through TR4A all used a three terminal flasher, but from the
TR250 on, a two terminal flasher was used.

You can, if you like, swap the two terminal flasher with a three terminal,
and then this method will work. The only drawback is that the three terminal
units don't fit the standard TR6 flasher holder, so something will need to be
made up to hold it (something other than duct tape, I hope!). A commercially
available holder for the round type flaher will probably work out ok, if you
get the corresponding round flasher. Just make sure you get a turn sugnal
flasher, rather than a hazard flasher. Nearly all of the "heavy duty"
flashers sold are for hazard flashing, rather than turn signals.

You can use a hazard flasher if you want, but it will continue to flash, even
if one of the turn signal bulbs are out. The only drawback to this is that
you have to check your lights on a regular basis, as you no longer get the
warning you now have of the turn signals not flashing if there is a burnt out
bulb, or a bad connection.

Geez! That got kinda long winded, didn't it?

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74