Spitfire suspension shims

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire suspension shims
From: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 16:03:15
Hello Listers,

After disassembling the front suspension on my '79 Spit, I found the frame
to be a bit dented at the right side rear mount for the lower control arm -
apparently some curb damage. (So THAT'S why the camber looked different
side-to-side!)

Can I use an extra shim in the damaged area to bring things more into
plumb? Or are the Bentley instructions to use an equal number of shims on
front and back a Golden Rule that can't be broken?   Once I finish the
suspension rebuild, can my chassis aligner measure  and shim to set things
right, or do I have to get the frame straightened?  It's dented about .080".

TIA
Atwell (Buff) Haines
'79 Spitfire FM 96062
'88 Lotus Esprit