Early TR4 steering rack rebuild

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Early TR4 steering rack rebuild
From: Tim Tucker <ttucker@mail.tds.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 00:12:04 -0400
Has anyone done a rebuild of the steering rack and pinion on the early
TR4 unit.

My inner and outer tie-rods are fine.  The passenger side bush for the
rack needs replacing, as do both upper and lower for the pinion.  I
don't find the rack and pinion unit for my car available new
(CT16063L).  Therefore, my winter task is to rebuild what I have.  I'm
not sure that the TRF's rebuilt units would be worth the price.

I figure the pinion will show a small amount of wear on it diameter,
making it necessary to remove a few thousandths off of the diameter.
That in-turn will mean "custom" bushings must be made, most likely upper
and lower.  Comments?

Anyone with experience doing this rebuild can jump in anytime :)

Thanks in Advance for any help.

Tim
'62 TR4 CT16063L