My spit is missing a screw!!!

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: My spit is missing a screw!!!
From: "Childs, David" <dchilds@lawson.epri.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:32:53 -0400
Here is a mystery that I just can't solve...

History (79 Spit, Zenith CD carb)
Somewhere on some lost and forgotten road I lost the long
screw that holds the automatic choke onto the body of the carb.
This is one of 3 screws.  2 screws on the bottom 1 on the top.
With the long screw on the bottom missing, I now drip petrol.
So I move the long screw from the top position to the bottom.
No drips, no problems other than I can not seem to keep the
choke tight against the body of the carb without periodic tightening.

Solution ?
I go to the hardware store and find a nice stainless steel screw that
looks like it will do the trick.

New problem....
I install the nice new screw and the car will not start.  All it will
do is flood.  Petrol pours out into the air filter.  RATS!!!!

Try two...
I put a new screw in that is too short to even hit the threads on the
body
of the carb.  Same thing.  The car floods.  WHAT IS UP WITH THAT!!!

New Solution
Don't put the bloody screw in!!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Dave

'79 Spit
'75 Spit (parts)