TR6 "J" type o/d rear oil seal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 "J" type o/d rear oil seal
From: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:14:15 -0400
List,
The rear oil seal in CF38690 is leaking fairly profusely. I rebuilt the
transmission several years ago but since the o/d was working well I just
cleaned it up, installed a new rear bearing and oil seal, and installed
it. The oil seal leaked right away, so looking for an easy way to replace
the seal, I removed the trans. cover and jacked the trans. up at the rear
and replaced the seal from the inside. It was hard to get a square shot
at the seal because the prop shaft cover is in the way, but I got it in
w/o damaging anything, Still leaks! Can anyone suggest a way to replace
the seal w/o removing the trans? The rear flange seems perfect and the
o/d case is fine, so why is this seal leaking so badly?
Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated,

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
'75 TR6  CF38690UO
'75 TR6  CF37325U