Re: Interesting find on TR4A

To: Thomas Leake <tomleake@enol.com>
Subject: Re: Interesting find on TR4A
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 23:35:48 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Thomas Leake wrote:

> I was pulling sundry components off the TR4A IRS (which is a very early car
>Commision CTC 50609,  body 50196) in preparation for some body work.   When I
>pulled off one of the castings for the fender mounted side marker light I
>noticed a curious making.   No part number just a marking " Lucas Electrical
>Engineering Sample"  The other side has a part number but does not match in a
>couple other ways (original gasket replaced by something cut out of a fibrous
>material)  so I don't think it is the
>
> Just another example of using up whatever might have been on hand on the
>production line.

Or some foreman yelling, "Get that bloody motorcar shipped!" <g> Parts
shortages on the production line must have been a fact of life.

An aside on this subject--it happens once in a while in aftermarket
parts, as well. Long ago, knew a guy rebuilding a straight-6 engine out
of a Ford van, which used a reinforced nylon cam gear. Went to NAPA, got
a replacement gear... set it to time properly, installed the gear, and
it started--for about half-a-second. Cranked it again, and cranked, and
cranked, and cranked. Would fire again for just an instant and quit.
Took the front cover off and the timing was off. Reset the timing, and
it did the same thing. Finally, he put the old gear on and it ran fine.

So, he had a look at the new gear (which came in a sealed factory box),
and counted fifty-nine teeth, when there were supposed to sixty. <g>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....