concerning the miata thread

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: concerning the miata thread
From: Mark Townsend <markt@tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:26:51 -0400

Ed Burger wrote:

> I don't know if this has been said yet, but what Mazda is going to be
> around in any restorable condition in 20 years?  My Mom has a 1995 626
> and the things allready showing signs of wear.  I don't really know of
> many newer cars that will be around in 20 years.
>
> My Spitfire is my first project car (I had a car before it that was
> given to me).  I choose it over any other modern or old car because of
> its simplicity and the bonnet.  I love being able to access my engine
> from three sides.  I don't know if anyone has had an the misfortune to
> have to work on these newer sideways mounted engines, but they're not
> fun.
>
> I don't personally ever forsee an aftermarket of parts for the Miata, or
> anyone willing to shoehorn parts into the Miata the way I have with my
> Spitfire (my resto job is being done in the 1950's rodding fashion.  It
> has many borrowed parts =)
>
> Ed

Ed (et al):

Sorry to piss on your petunias, but there's already a large aftermarket
for the Miata.  Before buying the Franken-Spit I considered a Miata with
a blown motor and looked into what sort of availability there was out
there.  Most of the RX performance houses (a VAST aftermarket) have
embraced the Miata, so it hasn't really had to establish its own market,
merely augment an existing one.  So, even though most Miata buyers are
typically not performance oriented and leave them unmodified, the
platform is still an excellent base for a project.

Imagine what'll happen when they start hitting the market in the 2-5k
range.  (8-10k is still abit too much for me to pony up for a toy.)
However, a nice solid car with a tired motor and bad paint would be
mighty tempting.  Hell, at least the top mechanism wouldn't be worn at
all, and the interior wouldn't be the least bit sun faded!!

The purely emotional contempt for Miatas on this list is really
puzzling!

John

Oh yeah, FYI... As a rear wheel drive car, the Miata motor is
longitudinal, not transverse.  Damn nice little motor too.