Re: Rear Wheel Camber

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rear Wheel Camber
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:19:20 -0400
Hello Scott, you wrote

 >Had the '70 TR6 in for final wheel allignment.  The Shop, Western
 >Auto, indicated that the rear wheels could only be toed (castor ?)
 >and that you could not adjust the camber angles. It is clearly
 >apparent that from standing behind the car the top of the tires
 >stick out from the body further than the bottom of the wheels, to
 >a visually excessive amount. Western Auto confirmed that this was
 >not correct but could do nothing to correct the angle.
 >
 >Are they correct? Why would the Bently manual provide the proper
 >camber degrees if you can't adjust them. Can't say this Western
 >Auto shop ever did a Triumph, but should be able to spot shims
 >for adjusting camber???
 >
 >Scott Suhring
 >Elizabethtown, PA
 >'70 TR6

The shims you mentioned are for toe-in, they are between the swing-arm
brackets and the frame.  I think the shop is correct here.

The camber is set by a combination of spring height and the design
of the swing-arm brackets themselves, as far as I know.

Have you recently installed new `competition grade' rear springs in
your '70, by any chance ???  All of those replacements seem to be
made to fit the later model cars, and now I can't remember when the
big change was, '72 or '74.5 maybe.  I made the same mistake in a
TR-250 I had, and wound up with exactly the problem you describe;
I can guarantee you WON'T like the way your car corners, with the
rear camber obviously positive, as you describe !!  It'll scare you
even if you're fearless !

Have you had the swingarm brackets off the car, to check for frame
soundness perhaps, and upon re-installation, reversed them, inner
for outer ?   There are 3 different brackets, coded by notches,
I think style #3 was added at the `big change' date noted above
but still used one of the earlier two. You might do well to find
someone who has a known original or proper bracket set-up and also
spring height to go with it.

Oops, time is up on the freenet, more later,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio