Front shock absorbers, TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Front shock absorbers, TR6
From: dynamic@transport.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 09:14:08 +0100
I would like to see some opinions on front shocks.  Who has experience with
what shocks on their TR6?  (Front only)

Years ago, being a little naive and a cheapskate, I bought a pair of KYBs.
Well, KYB doesn't make a shock for TR6.  But, I found a KYB part# that had
the correct dimensions and mounting configuration, so I bought them.  I
think they fit a Chevy Monza or something!  Anyway, now I'm convinced that
I made a mistake.  They are way too stiff (I think) even if you're building
an autocrosser!  So, I'm on the lookout for new shocks.  I like the SPAX
shocks, 'cuz they are less expensive and are adjustable (14 position).  I
do want a performance shock.  I have the competition springs on my car,
too.  Someone recently mentioned "Carrera" shocks on this list, and I know
Konis are popular.  Any other high performance shocks out there that I
should know about?  What do you listers recommend?

Also, who among you considers themself an "expert" on suspension tuning,
specifically the technicalities of shock valving as it relates to spring
frequency and rate?  Anyone know how manufacturers designate damping rates
on shocks in both bump and rebound?  If not, anyone know of a good source
of such information?  Here's a stumper... anyone know how to calculate
forces acting on a wheel when it encounters a bump at 70 mph?

Thanks!

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6

P.S. I'll have that thrust washer article up here soon.