Carbs and Catalytic converters

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carbs and Catalytic converters
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 12:41:20 -0400
>>  Not really true. Obviously computer control helps in any finely
>>tuned emissions system, but it's not essential. Although I've never
>>owned one, late LBCs have catalytic converters with common
>>carbeuretors.
>
>       True.  One problem is that such as system requires a bigger >converter,
>I suspect, since the fuel isn't controlled anywhere near as well, and it'll
>probably run hotter too.  Perhaps air injection as well.  With an ECU
>which has control.................

<snip>

I owned a 1980 Buick Regal which had carbs, no oxygen sensor or fancy
electronics, but had a catalytic converter.  The cat-con did run hot, but it
also ran for 8 years and 165,000 miles, including highway, autocross,
towing, etc. without burning anything up.

Over the years I adjusted the mixture (pesky little plastic caps), idle
speed, distributor timing curve and just generally put the beast through a
lot.  Not a single hickup from the cat con.  It may not have been doing much
after 8 years, but it never gave me a problem.

BTW - I also had the infamous Chevette tranny in this Regal and had no
problems with it either.

Later,

Jack