how to make a voltmeter work?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: how to make a voltmeter work?
From: dynamic@transport.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 06:57:41 +0100
Listers:

Years ago, when I was young and dumb, I was under the dash of my TR6 fixing
the DPO's rewiring.  (Ugh!)  Mine is a '73, by the way...  I had a parts
car, from which I collected the "new" wires that I needed to do all this
correctly.  I had my Bentley manual out.  Some of the wires that I replaced
were those connected to the voltmeter, and ignition, etc.  Well, thanks
partly to the Bentley manual and to my unwillingness to learn anything
about electricity, (a real shame when you own an lbc) I hooked the
voltmeter up as if it were an ammeter.  This is because according to the
Bentley manual's wiring diagrams, TR6s didn't come with voltmeters until
'75, or something like that.  Well, at the time, I couldn't imagine that
the Bentley manual would be wrong, so I figured that the term "ammeter" was
the "real" name for a voltmeter.  (go ahead, laugh!)  So, I hooked it up
like the book said, despite the terminology difference.  So every since
then, as you might imagine, the voltmeter does not work.  I discovered my
mistake not long after doing the work.  So, at this point, how do connect
the voltmeter so that it will work, or, since I have it connected wrong,
have I fried it?  Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks as always!

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6