FW: Re: cats, seat covers

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: cats, seat covers
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 15:31:44 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["Randell Jesup"
<jesup@scala.com>]]

     Date: Thu, 22 May 97 15:45:18 EDT
     From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.com>
     Subject: Re: cats, seat covers

Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca> writes:
>> and the catalytic converter is useless without some method of controlling
>> the mixture much more precisely then the old SU non-emissions are
>> capable of doing
>
>  Not really true. Obviously computer control helps in any finely
>tuned emissions system, but it's not essential. Although I've never
>owned one, late LBCs have catalytic converters with common
>carbeuretors.

        True.  One problem is that such as system requires a bigger converter,
I suspect, since the fuel isn't controlled anywhere near as well, and it'll
probably run hotter too.  Perhaps air injection as well.  With an ECU which
has control over the mixture, this isn't a problem.

>> And what about the Oxygen sensor for the feedback
>> loop. And where would you mount the ECU?
>
>  You don't need any of this. Look at the catalytic converter
>on any modern car, it's totally passive. All it needs to work
>is exhaust heat.

        Yes, but they're designed for the conditions they work in - which
today means a well-controlled mixture; you can't just drop any old converter
in.  (BTW, too large might be bad as well, since it might not reach operating
temperature, though I'm guessing here.)  They do flow better than older
converters, true.

"Bill Hooper" whines:  ;-)

>I had a very rough XK 140 for a couple of years, & sold because of the
>Thing.
>
>TOO OFTEN when I'd come back to the car from paying for gas, SOMEONE WOULD
>BE SITTING IN MY CAR.  Touching the dash, trying to turn the wheel,
>pressing the starter button, tromping pedals, getting a pitcher took.
>
>"Oh, I'm just looking at it."
>
>Always women.  Men would reach over the doors & peek & touch, but probably
>didn't want to reveal that much enthusiasm.
>
>GET OUT OF MY CAR!

        Hey, that's just part of the burden of driving such a beat-up old
leaky pile of British iron.  Deal with it.  (I'd love to get to deal with
that problem, actually - women don't do that to my TR6; darn!  I guess I
have to get going on the restoration of the '66 Midget, perhaps it will
work better.)

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com