RE: Clear Coating

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Clear Coating
From: "PAUL LOGUE" <GPAULOGUE@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 97 13:59:45 UT

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Doug Mathews wrote:

> I know it is a Japanese Rice Rocket, but my 91 Nissan PU is grey and has
> clear coat on it. The clear coat started peeling about 2.5 years ago. I've
> seen other vehicles with the same problem.
>
> Clear coat is not always the answer....

Then Andy Mace wrote:

Agreed. My 1991 Ford Explorer is "Deep Emerald Green Clearcoat Metallic";
that is, except for much of the roof and a bit of the hood, which are now
"Deep Curdled Milk Fogcoat Blisterrific"! I tried some VERY careful wet
sanding with 1500 grit, followed by buffing. Works reasonably well, except
that the Emerald Green Metallic underneath the clearcoat is NOT VERY THICK
and can be sanded through rather quickly. This leads me to believe I'd
better perfect my technique on the roof first, where no one can see the
boo-boos!

In fairness, this car has never seen a garage, but does see almost
constant sun (when we have sun, that is).

Of course, the Ford is all-American (except for the Mazda five-speed, the
French wiper motor in the tailgate....) :-)

My 77 Spit was recently painted with a high tech enamel and the clear was
mixed with the enamel!  The finish is so deep in places that it looks like you
could walk into it!  The professional painter here in GA says that only
dynamite will take it off!  When I am through putting it back together, he
wants to buff it out even more.  I can hardly wait.

Paul Logue
77 Spit
Midland, GA