Spin On Oil Filter Adapters

To: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spin On Oil Filter Adapters
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 01:47:47 -0700
Here's a nagging question I've always had...

Say you install one of those great little Spin-on Oil Filter adapters to
your TR 4A...

there's always debate about which filter to use... and it has to do with
the built in bypass valve... and the general quality of the filter...
flow rates, I assume... etc..

Okay... no problem there... I know which filter to use...

the question is....

If the spin on filter has a relief valve built into it... wouldn't it
make sense to put a extremely strong spring into the TR's original
bypass... so as effectively TURN OFF the old relief system...  as
opposed to leaving it alone... in which case... it might be worn out...
and, thereby, cutting in long before the spin-on filter would have?

I haven't really sat there and studied the flow route of the oil and the
such...  so I thought I'd save myself the trouble and ask the group...

Anybody have experience with this?

Justin
jmwagner@greenheart.com
Los Angeles