Re: I knew I didn't want to start this...

To: Nick <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: I knew I didn't want to start this...
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 23:06:07 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Nick wrote:

> I think this is a case of "everybody's" right. Everybody who responded with
> hydraulic/leverage theory, seems to be right on. However (boy here we go
> again), the question refers to a specific car and two specific hydraulic
> cylinders, both of which we know are capable of locking up the rear brakes.
> Given these specifics, I will stand by my statement that the smaller
> cylinders will lock the rear brakes sooner than the larger size cylinders
> on this car.

I missed the first part of this, but if I read this correctly, I agree.
Smaller cylinders will apply less braking force than larger cylinders,
but if the force required to lock shoes against drum can be met by both
cylinder sizes, the smaller will lock up earlier for a given pedal
application. The master cylinder will pump a given volume of fluid; the
smaller cylinder will extend further than the larger cylinder with the
same amount of delivered fluid, even though there is less force applied.
For identical master cylinders, that means earlier and further wheel
cylinder piston movement with the smaller cylinder, simply because
displacement is a function of bore size and fluid delivered.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....