Re: Flooding carbs on Spits

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Flooding carbs on Spits
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 01:51:36 -0400
Charlie Brown wrote:
> twin stock AUD 2140 bowl configuration, no matter how carefully you
> adjust the individual float levels, the front fuel level will always be
> higher than the rear. Therefore, set equally, the rear carb will
> always run leaner than the front, and the front will be more prone to
> flooding.

  I don't agree with this assesment, unless the spitfire is
vastly different than any other twin SU car I have known. I
don't suspect it is.

  Pressure is supplied to both float valves at the same time
from the fuel pump. If one float is at the level it is set
to close the valve at, that bowl will not accept any fuel. This
doesn't close the line to the other carb though, it is
free to take fuel until it is as full as it chooses to be.

  There is no "linkage" between the two floats other than
they are fed from the same line. One could be sat on top
of the other, they would still work. (by your definition
the top would not receive any fuel at all, and the
bottom would be flooding).

--
 /       Trevor Boicey         1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget     /