Unusual strange noise on Spitfire 1500.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Unusual strange noise on Spitfire 1500.
From: Thierry Metzger <Tmetzger@telekom.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:48:47 +0200
Bonjour from Paris.

I do have a problem on my 1980 Spitfire 1500, and would be glad if somebody
could help me:

I drove recently on a highway, fast but never over 4500 rpm when this stange
noice appeared.
I mean an unusual strange noice, nothing to do with the strange noices we do
all hear when driving our cars.

It's a strong vibration.
It seems to come from the front half of the car.
It appears only when the motor is hot, only above 2500 rpm and while
accelerating.
It stops when I stop accelerating, even if I keep the same speed.
It does not appear when I am pushing on the gas pedal without any gear
engaged: the motor turns perfectly round.

My first opinion is that it could come from the gearbox, but is there a way
to know (without dismounting it)?
I changed the gearbox oil, and there where not metal particles in the old
oil, which is certainly a good thing but I don't think it is
enough to exculpate it ?
Also I had to drive 500 km to get the car home, and there was  no other
problem and no increase of the noise during the trip.

Do you have any other ideas on the origin of this noise, or on how to
continue the diagnostic?

Merci beaucoup,

Thierry Metzger  <Tmetzger@telekom.de>