Re: overrunning and other engine problems

To: Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk
Subject: Re: overrunning and other engine problems
From: Zink <Tiger245@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:35:47 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I wonder if you could provide me with a few pointers. My 1500 Dolomite engine
>(Stromberg carbs) has a few
> embarrassing quirks which may be connected, let me explain:
>
> 1, It occasionally overruns for a second or two. This isn't as bad as my Mini
>was (you could switch off and be half
> way up the car park by the time it decided to stop running) so is there
>anything I can check before embarking on a
> decoke. The plug deposits and exhaust outlet look just the right colour.
>
> 2, The car starts fine in the morning but is reluctant to pull off. It needs
>quite a lot of choke to get the revs up. These
> stay high, but when I try to pull away they may die and stall.
>
> 3, The accelerator has a very slight sticking point.
>
> Thank you, as ever, for your thoughts.
>
> Ben
> '69 Herald (ex)1200
Ben,
Your problem is timing, not you your car's.;-).
It sounds like what we describe in the States as dieseling.  Your car is
just enough out of time to run but does not idle well or show correct
power performance. And this is creating just enough extra heat buildup
to continue running after the ignition is turned off.  Reset your points
and ignition timing, this should cure your run on.

As to your carb problem the differece in your timing may be affecting
your vacuum and causing a slight hesitation in response to acceleration.
Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4