Re: TR-3A spark plug recommendations

To: "Triumph Guys" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "John Cowan" <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Subject: Re: TR-3A spark plug recommendations
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:59:44 -0700
John sez-

> I got three recommendations for plugs for my TR-3A:
> Autolite #273
> Champion RL82C (from Champion customer service)
> NGK BP6ES
>
>   I eventually chose Champion RL78YCs, recommended for TR-3As in a
> catalogue in a NAPA store.

> The car had NGK BP6ES installed.
Danger Will Robinson....
The correct NGK for your car should be BP6HS. The BP6ES plugs have a longer
threaded area and are basically, just not remotely right for your car.
Luckily the TR head is far enough away from the piston that physical
interference is not a problem. However, the end of
the plug is now closer to the piston and the fact that the "hot" end of the
plug can not cool itself (not touching the head), could lead to some
serious heat related melting of the piston. Additionally, the threads that
are exposed will become caked with carbon deposits which while making it
very difficult to remove them, can also tear the threads in the head up
badly when they do come out. Hopefully you have not damaged anything, but I
would look into the plug hole with a good bore light, or the like, and
check the top of the pistons, especially number 3 (it runs the hottest).

I believe that the TR3 called for L87Y's back in the olden daze if my
memory hasn't completely failed, and the 78's may foul a bit as they are a
colder plug. I have had v good usage from the NGK plugs and with their
construction, one number (heat range) will cover a wider range of
competitors plugs (that is, the NGK 6 range may cover a range of 6 or 8
numbers of a competitors plugs).

Need a good memory plug myself...
          Nick in Nor Cal