RE: Spitfire rear springs

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire rear springs
From: Kris Kane <motrsprt@micron.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:37:36 -0600
Hi
I'm new to this list, and hope it went where I wanted it to go.  My wife and I
currently own only one Triumph-a 1979 Spitfire.  We purchased it 2 years ago
with aspirations of restoring/rebuilding it to drive and perform better than
the condition it was in 1995.
While this thread is going on about the rear suspension, is there anyone who
just hates the rear suspension setup with the transverse leaf springs?  I was
told by a local shop, that could re-arch the springs if I wanted, that doing so
would not guarantee the car sit straight.  My only alternative at the time was
to buy a new leaf spring set.  I hate leaf springs.
My question is:  has anyone ever installed a set of coil-assisted shocks on the
rear and eliminated the leaf springs altogether?
If this is a subject that has been covered already, and there exists FAQ's on
it, could someone please guide me to them?
----------

While we're on this thread of sagging rear Spitfire springs, I plan on having
mine re-arched soon. Question: What type of shop does one look for to have the
re-arching done and what does one ask to have done? Anyone who has been through
this successfully I/we would welcome your input.

Thanks

Ralph Jannelli
'72 Spitfire MKIV
'65 Spitfire MKII
Kris Kane, owner
IDAHO MOTORSPORTS
Meridian, ID  (208)8884372
wheels/tires, suspension, exhaust, intakes, forced
induction's, synthetic lubricants, ECU upgrades
motrsprt@micron.net