Dash Refinishing

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, nowin4me@telis.org
Subject: Dash Refinishing
From: matthews@sj.bigger.net
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:19:49 -0700
Hi all,

Just wanted to report that I was able to remove the old varnish from my
Herald dash last night in less than a half hour. I just fired up my
trusty heat gun (industrial type purchased from a carpet tool company I
used to work for) and that stuff came right off with a scraper.

I did have to be carefull about not burning the wood, but I would
definitely recommend this method to anyone trying to remove old cracked
varnish. I plan to give it a light sanding, then refinish with the same
type spar varnish. Heck, while I'm at it I may just do the rudder and
center-board from my Sunfish!!

I also plan to use the same heat gun to form new vinyl over the old
stuff on the rest of the dash, has anyone tried this?? TIA

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 & '65 Heralds