Re: Thrust bearings

To: Monica <monica@snovalley.com>
Subject: Re: Thrust bearings
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 23:23:32 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Monica wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>  I'm about to replace the thrust bearings on my TR6, I'd like
> to do this with the engine still in the car by just removing
> the sump cover. Has anyone done this? If so how easy is it?
>  Anyone live near Seattle and want to help? I'll buy/brew
> the beer!

-----------------------
Monica

This is a fairly easy job. Just remove the oil pan ( there are really no
big interferences) and remove the rear main bearing cap. Check the end
play at the thrust bearing by moving the crank fore and aft to determine
the thickness of washers required.

Look up the spec in the manual and order from TRF or Moss (they carry
std. up to .030" over) and re intall/retorque/refit the pan/oil and
thats about it. Should take about 2-4 hours depending on how motivated
you are.

Good Luck

Glenn Franco

71 & 74 TR6's