Re: Hi, I'm back and Garage advice - no LBC content

To: mood@erols.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hi, I'm back and Garage advice - no LBC content
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 08:51:09 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-04-03 23:16:12 EST, mood@erols.com (Jon Moody) writes:

<< Jon Moody
 '73 TR6

 p.s.  Any other suggestions re garage building would be appreciated

Assuming you want a 'working'  LBC garage and not just storage space the
following has worked well for me. I don't have the exact dimensions but it's
deep enough so that you could park two TR's nose to tail ( 25 feet?) and wide
enough to park 3 TR's across easily (20 feet), with two single garage doors
into it. It's easy and cheaper to add space at first construction so a little
thought is rea helpful.  I had my 59 runner and a separated body and frame
for a friend's 60 TR3 in there comfortable while we worked.
I also put in electrical outlets all along the walls at about 6 feet.
 Everyone laughed about this one at first but not after working in there.
It's also a good idea to figure in the design where the shelves will go, and
how to use the 'attic' storage.  There are some improvements I would make
after using it for awhile though.
1. A  sound deadened, ventilated area, either as a shed on the outside or in
a corner of the garage to put the compressor in.  The racket is driving me
nuts.
2. Dig a pit in one side  for underside work.  I'm so irked that I didn't
think of this early enough to do it myself. It could be poured at the same
time you pour the garage pad, or built first out of cinder block or I've even
seen plastic liner kits sold in Hemmings.  It sure would make oil changes and
lubing easier.
3. Put in-floor radient heat into the concrete slab.  This is another simple
no-brainer that I did not snap to soon enough.  If you're an average
handy-man you can install it yourself.  I build a wood shop after the garage
and did install it there.  I use a simple recirculating pump and a hot water
heater as the boiler. Works a treat !  Imagine laying on a WARM concrete
floor in the winter !

I don't know about the vapor barrier, that's not a problem we deal with in
New Mexico (even though my water table is at 5 feet!) but it's easy to do and
won't cause a problem so why not.
Just my .02  on garages.  Have fun with the construction.

Bob Paul
Corrales NM