RE: spit front shock mount

To: "Michael Galloway" <mgx@icesar.epm.ornl.gov> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: spit front shock mount
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 24 Mar 1997 08:16:52 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0661E3336A8F4016-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 24 Mar 1997 08:16:52 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 24 Mar 1997 08:16:52 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0661E3336A8F4016*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Michael Galloway wrote:
while removing the front shocks on my '78 spit, one of the
top mounting bolts twisted off. can the bolts (there are
three per top mounting plate) be replaced or am i going to
have to spend $40 on a new mounting bracket?
Michael -

On the Spit. front suspension there should be a slightly cupped plate that
goes over the top of the spring and which is held in place by the nut
screwed onto the top of the shock absorber.  The top plate has the three
studs sticking up out of the top and I presume that what you broke off was
one of the three studs, correct?

If so, call VB or TRF and order the top plate.  It should not be $40 (did
someone quote that price to you?).  Figure about $8 to $10.  In the
alternative, you can try to find a small threaded stud (similar to a wheel
stud, only much smaller) and drill out the busted stud, then insert a new
one.  However, I doubt you will find a proper sized stud and furthermore, I
doubt this "fix" will hold up over the long run.  My advice - bite the
bullet and buy the proper top plate.  Regards,

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe