TR4/4A Steering Box (Oil or Grease?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4/4A Steering Box (Oil or Grease?)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 05:57:15 -0500 (EST)
Having noticed the recent thread re: TR6 lubrication,  I checked my Haynes
manual and the Autobooks manual for the proper lube for the TR4/4A steering
box and front end.  In the Haynes (page 13) it calls for "Castrol LM Grease"
to be used in the steering box and front end nipples.  On p.77, par.9.2, of
the Autobooks it indicates the same. That is what I have used for years and
have had no problem.

 [BTW -The Haynes manual (p.11) calls for TR2's and 3's to use "Castrol
Hypoy", which I assume is 80 or 90 weight gear oil, for the steering box only
- and grease for the rest of the front end.]

I don't have my Bentley TR4/4A manual with me.  Could one of you TR4/4A folks
check to see if that (or any other manual) agrees with the Haynes and
Autobook?  If it doesn't we might be off on another thread -this time for the
4/4A crowd. :-)

Thanks
Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L