'76 TR7 "Victory Edition" SAFETY RECALL!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '76 TR7 "Victory Edition" SAFETY RECALL!
From: Britcarcom@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 18:08:08 -0500
Cc: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, 106503.2253@compuserve.com
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:25:13 +0500 (EST)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: TR7 limited edition.

>On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Steve Redway wrote:

>> Greetings from the TR Register UK,
>> I am not sure whether you can help or not, but I am trying to produce an
>> article here in our TRaction magazine on the limited edition TR7s that
were
>> sold in the USA over a number of years. The Victory, 30th Anniversary,
>> Spider, Southern Skies etc are the names given to them. Some were fixed
>> heads, some convertibles. I am after production years, quantities,
>> features, colours etc. Are there any Wedgie enthusiast out there that may
>> be able to help, maybe a note in your great magazine may provide me with
>> some answers? Keep up the Triumpant work.
>>
>> Steve Redway
>> TR Register "TRaction" Editor.
>> 106503,2253@COMPUSERVE.COM

to which Andrew Mace replied on Thu 21 Nov 96 (in part):

>I remember the "Victory Edition," circa 1976, notable for its sliding
>sunroof and white "spoke" wheels (much like wheels popular on Jeep-type
>vehicles of the period, and about as heavy). White was probably the most
>common color, although there were others, I believe.

If I recall, this car's truly interesting story was that the NHTSA (or
whichever U.S. govt group dealt w/car safety in '76) actually made BL in the
USA recall the car to replace the wheels. The white spoker wheels were
aftermarket, I believe, and had a tendency to crack under stress. Most
unsafe! I think BL replaced the wheels; don't know whether it was with
equivalent but stronger white spokers or some other kind of wheel altogether.

Any old BL folks out there whose memories are better than mine?

John Voelcker
www.britishcar.com