Re: Problems with new fuel (was Marvel Mystery

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Problems with new fuel (was Marvel Mystery
From: "Dan Harriman" <KC5GXL@pnx.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:22:11 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <KC5GXL@PNX.COM>
Howdy
   Alchohol lowers the octane rating of gas. A while back, gasahol
was a big deal. It was supposed to be the cure-all for the fuel
shortage. It sure brought in some good dollars for me as a mechanic
doing valve jobs and exhaust jobs. (Although I didn't like the
exhaust work.) The mixture would burn too cool and carbon up the
valves. They then would overheat and plenty of pie-shape valves would
be the result. If I were to put any kind of alchohol in my gas tanks,
it would only be dry-gas. Even then, I would use it sparingly. Most
winter mixtures of gasoline have plenty of moisture remover in them
already. A better way to keep water out of the tank is to run a tank
of premium every once and a while.
   Hope some of this blathering helps someone out there.
Dan