FW: Spit Front Wheel Bearings

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Spit Front Wheel Bearings
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 11:53:00 PDT
Encoding: 27 TEXT
Over the weekend, a member wrote:
> OK, I finally replaced my front wheel bearings on Saturday, and
> after driving the car yesterday, everything seems OK. One question
> came up while I was installing the bearings though.
> > Which way 'round does the seal go? Felt to the bearing or felt to
> the hub?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
And Jonathan Miles replied:

Felt to hub is correct.  I've tried this both ways by mistake but
eventually found out that the latter is correct.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay, hate to argue, but I've went through (1) Bentley Manual, (2) Haynes
Manual and (3) an old Autopress Manual for early Spitfires and concluded
(based upon drawings and text) that the felt part butts up to the upright,
not to the hub bearing.  However, I do have one interesting difference on my
car.  On the left side the felt oil seal spins along with the hub bearing
and on the right side the felt oil seal stays stationary when I spin the
hub.  It appears that the felt is getting slightly hung up on the machined
face of the upright.  Any thoughts as to whether this is going to cause
problems later?

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)