Re: Herald + GT6 = Vitesse?

To: Chad Jester <triumph@igc.net>
Subject: Re: Herald + GT6 = Vitesse?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:19:09 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Chad Jester wrote:

> List,
>
> All this talk of engine swapping caused the cogs in my head to turn...
>
> I  have located a solid '65 Herald.  I also know of an incredibly rusty
> (unrestorable without cubic $$$$) '70 GT6.  Does anyone know if it would
> be possible to combine the '65 Herald body with the '70 GT6 driveline?
>
> Chad (have I gone crazy or what) Jester

Well, Chad, YES, you HAVE gone crazy. But yes, it's quite possible to do
what you're doing. Adapting the roto-flex suspension to a Herald body
and chassis might be a bit tricky (The Vitesse 2L Mk.2 used lever shocks
in the back; you need to shove that radiator well forward, etc., etc.).

It's doable, though. Just don't think too long about dropping the Herald
tub onto the GT6 frame. The wheelbase of the GT is about 7.5" +/-
shorter. Of course, you could go "altered" class at the dragstrips! Not
that the Herald isn't already (to some) a "funny" car!

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *