Re: More GT6 Insanity

To: "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" <Andrew.Lindberg@CORP.honeywell.com>
Subject: Re: More GT6 Insanity
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 11:16:35 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
"Swing-axle Andy" replies to what Andy Lindberg wrote:

> ...('67 Mark 1 [GT6]) and made a deal to buy it.

>    My question for the group today: Should I fly down there and drive the
> car back to Minneapolis (2K? miles) or should I somehow try to arrange
> shipping?  My inclination is to go for the former, just because I've always
> wanted to do it.

Could be fun. Read on.

>    Some facts: I haven't driven the car.  I was there on business, saw it,
> and made a deal over the phone when I got back here.  (See earlier statement
> re malfunctioning brain.)  Owner says he's been using it as a daily driver
> and it passed AZ emissions.  Vibration over 60 mph.  (My guess is tires or
> bad U-joints.  Note: no roto-flex on Mark 1.)

What sort of wheels does this GT6 have? Most "Mk.1" GT6s in North
America were equipped originally with wire wheels. It would be worth
making sure these are sound enough for a lengthy maiden voyage and that,
of course, the tires are balanced. It could be tricky finding a tire
shop that could accommodate your wish just to check and rebalance tires
on wires. If disks or alloys, probably less of a problem.

Beyond that, visual and "shake" tests (with front suspension unloaded)
ought to be enough to determine relative soundness of ball joints and
other front end bits; similarly, the rear suspension should be inspected
as well.

>    Any advice or insights appreciated.
>
>  -- Andy Lindberg (not related to that other Andy that likes swing axle cars)

How 'bout that guy who soloed to Paris from Long Island in a silly
little plane? ;-)

Andy "actually, that's MR. Swing-Axle" Mace

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *

p.s. Bring along your cell phone and laptop and keep us posted en route. ;-)