1147 update AND: "What kind of paint....?"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1147 update AND: "What kind of paint....?"
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 17:37:16 -0700
Well, I just took the day off today, and re-assembled my 1147 motor.  Finally
:-)  It
was a pleasure, something I'd been looking forward to for several weeks.  I let
the
answering machine get the phone, and just took my time.  Everything went
together well,
no problem, except when I tried to turn the engine to adjust the valves (boy,
is it hard
to turn... oops, gotta take those spark plugs out; well, at least I know it's
got **
COMPRESSION **)  Now, where did I stash that MK II header I found at a local
British
shop a year ago???  Hmmm....  (background noises of digging through boxes &
accumulated
junk.. , some swearing...) Ah, there it is!  Good grief, does this thing need
to be
re-finished or what?  Oh well, let's just hang it on the side to see what it
looks
like...  WOW!   I can hear it run already...   Now for *THE QUESTION*....

  What kind of paint do you all reccccommmend (did I get enough c's & m's in
it?) to
refinish a factory MK II Spit header?  I've perused the spray cans at the NAPA
store &
PEP BOYS, but most of the high heat finishs require some sort of high
temperature curing
within 12 to 24 hours of painting...  This motor won't be run right away, so I
need to
figure something out.  I'm willing to listen, I'm wanting to listen, I'm waitng
listen.....

  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks

Peter Ficklin
pficklin@qnis.net
Fresno, Ca  (British Car show this weekend... small, but fun, right here in
Fresno...)
1/2 '64 Spit done, 1/2 '64 Spit waiting....